Marriage Requirements for Holy Cross & St. Henry's
Don't know where to start? This is a good spot. It includes requirements that need to be completed in a certain order, rules that need to be followed, and the required fees. We have a hard copy of this in the office if you would like one.
Couple Preparation Requirements
1. Initially meet with the deacon to complete
the pre-nuptial investigation.
2. Set a date to meet with the priest on a
social level closer to the wedding.
3. According to Diocesan Policies, the couple
is not to live together before marriage.
4. The couple should pray together and attend
5. Set the date for the wedding with the priest
or deacon after the pre-nuptial investigation
6. Reserve the Church for the wedding and
7. Register at the parish you will be attending
as a married couple.
8. Attend an approved Marriage Preparation
Weekend. Click here to view the different Marriage Preparation Weekends.
Click here for the registration form.
9. Turn in the certificate from the weekend
into the parish office to receive $75.00 off
your marriage license!
10. Take the Fully Engaged Survey online.
The Marriage Coordinator will e-mail this
11. Meet with an assigned sponsor couple to
go through the workbook and survey
results. (Up to 5 meetings or 5-10 hours)
12. Ask the parish you were baptized in to
send a current baptismal certificate to St. Henry's. The certificate should be dated
within 6 months from your wedding date.
13. Catholics should participate in
Reconcilation before Matrimony.
14. St. Henry's Facilities Use Fee
$150 for parishioners
$500 for non-parishioners
Payment can be made at the parish office.
15. Holy Cross Facilities Use Fee
$0 for parishioners
$100 for non-parishioners
16. The program needs to be approved by the
deacon or the priest one month before the
17. Purchase a Marriage License at any
courthouse in a MN County. (It is illegal to
celebrate a marriage without a marriage
license.) Apply for it at least one month
before the wedding. It may be turned into
the office to to keep in your file at the
1. Liturgical furnishing are sacred; They
may not be moved, removed, or replaced.
2. Flowers and plants should be real.
3. Flowers may not be placed on top of the
4. Bubble machines, balloons, and karaoke
machines may not be used at any time
before, during or after the wedding.
5. The throwing of rice, birdseed, rose petals,
potpourri, confetti, etc. is prohibited on
church property for cleanliness and safety.
6. Food and beverages are not permitted
within the sacred worship space and
smoking is prohibited on all church
7. It is important to have people assigned to
pick up any garbage, decorations, or
anything left behind.
8. Alcohol is not permitted on church property
at the time surrounding the wedding
rehearsal and any time prior to the start of
the wedding liturgy. Minnesota State Law
dictates that a marriage could be declared
null if "a party lacked capacity to consent to
the marriage at the time the marriage was
solemnized because of the influence of
alcohol, drugs, or other incapacitating
substances," (MN Statue 518.02)
9. If you would like Father Matt to attend your
meal and reception, he asks that the family
covers the $150 cost of a substitute priest
for the evening masses that day in place of
any gift that the couple would have given him. He would much rather be able to
attend your reception than be "paid" for
celebrating your wedding.
1. Rehearsal is usually the night before the
wedding. Everyone involved should arrive at the practice on time.
2. Marriage between two Catholics usually
has Communion and takes about 1 hour.
3. Without Communion, the ceremony takes
35 to 45 minutes.
4. For either ceremony, the couple should find
readers for the bible readings and the
petitions. (1-3 people) (1-2 if you know a
deacon will be present to read the peitions)
5. For Matrimony with Communion, the couple
should also find 1-3 Gift Bearers, 1-3
Eucharistic Ministers, and 2 Servers.
6. Please try to limit the wedding party to less
than 7 couples.
7. Ring Bearers/Flower Girls should be at
least 4 years old and must be able to walk
unassisted down the aisle.
8. The music does not change during the
processional for anyone.
9. An aisle runner is allowed but not required.
10. No pets will be allowed in the wedding.
11. No wagons or signs in the procession.
12. Unity Candles, Unity Cross, and Unity
Sand are not allowed.
13. The wording of the marriage vows is a set
formula in the Catholic Church.
14. Readings for you to choose from are on
this website. (Hard copies available in the
office.) Choosing these before choosing
music can be helpful.
15. Music should be chosen from the
approved list on this site. (Hard copies
available in the office.)
16. Michael Mettler, the Director of Music and
Liturgy, can be reached at 218-346-7030. Music needs to be set up through him.
He can help you find an accompanist and
17. A musician from St. Henry's must be at
the wedding to at least help with the
18. The Accompanist Fee is $200.
19. The Cantor Fee is $150.
20. Contact additional singers for fee
information. You may also contact the
accompanist and/or cantor if you have
questions about the fee.
21. Priests and deacons are not allowed to
celebrate a Marriage outside of a Church
in the Diocese of St. Cloud.